Saturday, January 19, 2008

Baby It's Cold Outside....

I just checked the weather on weather.com and it is -17 degrees with the wind chill - but hey the sun is out. I found the following recipe for hot cocoa on Allrecipes.com and I am definitely going to make it today.

We had to run out (and I mean run because you don't want to stay still when you step outside today) to take my daughter to a birthday party and my son to a soccer game. Even only being outside from the car to the door chilled me to the bone. This is the kind of weather where you want to sit by the fireplace (except I don't have one - but I can imagine), sip hot cocoa and read a good book under a big comfy blanket.

Okay here's the recipe for the hot cocoa

Creamy Hot Cocoa

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup half-and-half cream

Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature. Top with whip cream if you like. Enjoy!

1 comment:

BandK said...

Minus-17 degrees. Now THAT is cold!!!!! Brrrrr my thin California blood can't even imagine it! LOL Hope the cocoa was good. :-)