Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Simplicity

Okay I'm gonna stray from the recipe thing for this post. On the way to work this morning the song "Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners came on the radio. It made me think back to my 30th birthday party (almost 11 years ago) where we danced liked crazy and had a little too much to drink - even my sister who is 18 years old than me did a shot.

Then this got me thinking about how "simple" life was back then. I was married - but no kids, and still living in an apartment. So needless to say the responsibilities were slim. My biggest worry each week was where we were going for happy hour after work on Friday. When we are young we don't realize how simple our lives are, nor do we appreciate it. Now I can't even get through a post without "Mom, I need this" or "Honey, where is my?". Now the biggest worries (notice it is now worries and not worry) are raising my kids to be decent, confident human beings, having enough money to pay the bills, keeping the house running, making sure the kids are where they need to be when they need to be there, working, helping care for my dad, volunteering at the kids school and trying to keep a marriage going all at the same time. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my life for anything - but just maybe one day a year it would be great to just worry where happy hour was.

Well, that's my vent for today - now back to posting "simple" recipes - the only thing simple in my life!

No comments: